Saturday 13 April 2013

Never mind the snowstorm, I'm planting inside!

We had another snowstorm yesterday. It was not as big and bad as predicted because the worst of it passed by north of Montreal, but we had snow and ice pellets and freezing rain and slippery roads. Rumour has it that I shouldn't take off my snow tires yet, because there may be more coming. Technically we are five weeks from the magic moment when there is not supposed to be any more risk of frost, that it Victoria Day weekend (around May 21). Just before the snow hit, my daffodils, hyacinths and crocuses were popping up. I am not sure how they are managing under several inches of snow but it was warmer today and things were melting.

While this was going on outside, Josh was working on building a temporary seed sprouting centre in our basement. He built suspended shelves with hanging full spectrum fluorescent lights which his parents bought for us. The set-up is right behind me as I write on my computer in the basement office corner. I picked up some small plastic square baskets from the dollar store as trays to catch any water overflow and allow me to eventually transport the seedlings outside to harden when the weather warms up. I did not use jiffy trays this year, but seeded directly into earth in small pots and plastic cups reused from last year's seedlings, as well as some juice cartons, yogourt containers etc. I was careful to put large holes in the bottom of these so that we would not have the drainage problems I had last year once I moved the seedlings outside and it rained. Josh put gravel at the bottom of each pot and container covered by some potting soil. I have planted mostly seeds left over from last year because we had a lot. I hope they work as well still. I put in three types of basil seed (monmouth, sweet basil and bush basil (Superbo) we ordered from Richters. The tomatoes I used were the ever favorite San Marzano from Landreth, a couple of those amazing chocolate cherry tomatoes and a few of the large chocolates in the hope they do better this year. I planted two varieties of sunflowers, one small decorative multicoloured variety and some giant yellow ones. I have no idea where I am going to put them this year. I put in two types of peppers, goat horn and hot thai peppers. I am also sprouting poppy seeds indoors, because the seeds I planted directly outside all died. I decided to make markers using plastic knives left over from my kids' birthday parties, labelled with a laundry marker. They are totally water proof and reusable. We bought transparent shower curtains and covered the pots and shelves completely to keep in humidity. It is not quite as enclosed as the jiffy trays but we will see how it does. I will also be starting a half-dozen sweet potatoes once I buy toothpicks to suspend them in water. I picked up some dalia bulbs at the dollar store, and Chloe gave me some freesia bulbs which I hope to plant (indoors!) tomorrow.


Next we will be arranging to get some fermented manure from a neighbour of my in-laws out in the country, and hopefully some hay from our friends Jack and Amy. We did not have enough last year and hope to be more generous, although supplies are a bit scarce in the city.

My brother in Vancouver has been teasing me about cherry blossoms already in bloom. Still winter here...

No comments:

Post a Comment